Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Can't Wait Till I Know What I'm Doing!

Sand in my teeth. Which means manure in my mouth, but I try not to think of that as I pull my sunglasses down and the font of my mulafa up over my mouth and nose. Mauritania meets America in the middle of my face. On days like these when the hot wind throws dust on everything it's good to be a part of a culture where wearing more is more. I've just come from the primary schools where I sat and showed my face and lack of language skills. The men in the director's office at school 2 (who weren't teachers, I asked) actually sat and laughed at me for several minutes. "She said she speaks a little Hassaniya and a lot of French, but she doesn't speak either one. She knows nothing!" Hearing and fully unerstanding what they were saying about me could have frustrated me more, but I sat and smiled serenely... people say these things to me every day, and although it is annoying, I tell myself that at some point I will have aquired enough skills to forget interactions like these ever took place. I seem to be doing alright at the other parts of my job, though, thankfully. After leaving the schools I bought a kilo of chicken and stopped at a phamarcy where a friend works. It's been a while since any of us have seen Tutu, so she was exited to welcome me in. She asked about Amanda and Ashley and I told her they were working. I told her Ashley was sick and pointed to my thoat."She can't talk, which isn't good if you are a teacher." I asked her if she had anything for that and she made me a bag of vinegar for her to gargle and tea to drink, no charge. So if nothing else, I can shop for food and successfully feed myself and make friends. The rest will come in time, I hope.