Thursday, October 16, 2008

Shwey Min Validation

I was in one of the farher-out boutiques, near the taxi garage, looking for harder to find items (you can get Sprite, Mountain Dew, coconut yoghurt, Quaker oats and Pringles). I greeted the shopkeeper as I came in, which is customary here. He was helping someone else, so when he finished I asked him how he was doing with the heat, a phrase I'd already used successfully 20 times that day. He stared at me like he didn't know what I was talking about. So I said it again; still the blank stare. "The heat... you know, it's hot out?" I said, and noticed a little boy had come in behind me. "It's okay. Um, how are you?" I tried. "Fine," he replied. Then the little boy, who'd heard the whole conversation said to him "You don't know Hassaniya!" and laughed. It felt like being on the Simpsons when that kid walks up and says "Haw haaw!" Except for once it wasn't about me. Glorious.

No comments: