Saturday, October 4, 2008

First Harvest

Our accidental garden turned out to be the first to come to harvest. Next to the faucet in my yard there is a tangle of bean plants and corn stalks probably from popcorn kernels and beans dropped by one of the former volunteers. These beans are actually Cowpeas or Blackeyed Peas. They grow locally and despite being an excellent source of protein, are not well-loved by Mauritanians. During training my host family would sometimes buy 10um bags (about 5 cents worth) and toss them in with dinner. 10 Ouguyia buys a slim handful... maybe about what I've got in my hand in the photo. I always made sure to eat the beans (and any other vegetable) when they were included, as I was grateful for any added nutrition. The corn didn't fare as well, as soon as the locust swarm moved in they mowed it down pretty well. I really hope the locusts are gone by the time my school garden is growing!

No comments: